If we are talking about Java Technology it seems to be everywhere, but what exactly is it? The following section of core java tutorial explains how java technology is used in real world.
Definition of Java Language
Java is very easy, multi-threaded, secured, high-level, plate-form independent, object oriented programming language. It was developed by James Gosling in SUN Micro-system in 1990’s for developing internet application. Its first version is released in January 23, 1996.
Core Java Tutorial Features
To support internet application development Java Programming has below features.
- Object Oriented
- High Performance
Terminology used in programming language
- Source Code – Developer written program is source code, it is written according to the programming language syntax.
- Compiled Code – Compiler generated program that is converted from source code.
- Compiler – It is translation program that converts source code into machine language but once.
- Interpreter – It is also a translation program that converts source code into machine language but line by line.
- Executable Code – OS understandable readily executable program(.exe files).
- Compilation – It is a process of translating source code into compiled code.
- Execution – It is a process of running compiled code to get output.
Unlike other high level programming languages Java Technology platform is a hardware or software environment in which
programs are executed. Java has its own software based platform called JVM – Java Virtual Machine.
What is platform ?
A platform is a hardware or software environment in which a program runs.
What is meant by platform dependent and platform independent application ?
Platform Dependent –
An application that is compiled in one operating system but if it is not run in different operating system then that application is called platform dependent application.
Platform Independent –
If the application compiled code is able to run in different operating system then that application is called platform independent application. Java is platform independent programming language, because Java program compiled code can run in all Operating Systems.
Core Java Tutorial Concepts and technologies to develop three application in projects-
SUN Microsystem divide Java concepts into three categories to support all three types of domains, mobile, desktop and internet applications. In Java a category is called as Edition. So we can say Java concepts are divide into 3 edition.
- Java ME ( Micro Edition )
- Java SE ( Standard Edition )
- Java EE ( Enterprise Edition )
Java ME concepts are used for developing Mobile Applications.
Java SE concepts are used for developing Desktop and Window based applications.
Java EE concepts are used for developing Internet and Enter and Enterprise applications.